Saturday 4 June 2011

How can I change my residency from GA to NY while I am attending school in GA?

I am planning to move to NY for school. I would transfer to NYU but I do not want to pay out of state. I would attend at least two more semesters in my college here in GA. Is that anyway to become resident of NY while I%26#039;m here? like owning a property or car in NY, does it help? any other alternative way?|||No, there is no way to establish residency at a state you don%26#039;t live in.


Most schools general policy is %26quot;Once and out-of-state student always an out-of-state student%26quot; because you can%26#039;t use your time living in that state towards residency requirements.|||I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the residency requirements of your school. In my experience, it is pretty hard to establish residency while out of state. My university (ASU) required solid proof (i.e. employment history, vehicle registrations, rental history, income tax returns, etc.). I also had to provide tuition statements from my previous out of state school to show that I was not paying resident rates for the year prior. Check out the school website and do some research. Some schools are not as strict.





I just wanted to add that %26quot;once out of state, always out of state%26quot; as posted by another member is really not true. There are steps you must take to show intent of permanent residency in the state. These are unique for each university so it will greatly benefit you to research this on your own.