Saturday 4 June 2011

My sister wants me to marry her and her boyfriend. I live in MA she's in NY. How do I do this?

Do i need to become a notary, a justice of the peace, change my residency to be able to marry them in NY? She asked me to do it because we%26#039;re so close. Does anyone have any ideas on how exactly to become legal to marry a sister/friend?





She doens%26#039;t want me to marry her, she wants me to be the guy who marries her and her fiance, just to clarify.





Thanks!|||are you being serious? thats a very weird request of her to make.|||That seems like a really weird request. I%26#039;m not even sure family can legally be the person doing the ceremony.|||Find out what the laws are in the state of NY to officiate at a wedding ceremony. It would be easier if she got married by a Justice of the Peace and then asked you to say a few words. Her request is very odd.|||If you are not legally licensed to marry a couple, then you cannot just %26quot;preform%26quot; a legal wedding. She will need to either find a pastor/priest or go to the courthouse before a judge to be married.





Why would she even think it would be legal if you are not licensed to do so???|||3sum


weird one tho|||It is not that easy. You either have to become an ordained minister in that state. Or like you said a notary, or justice of the peace. Now what you could do is you can do a formal and informal marriage. They could go to the court house get a married certificate have it signed by a judge which they do all the time. Then you could perform an informal wedding where you would marry them there. They would already be legally married you would just being doing it for the family and friends so they could witness it. The fact is it is too hard to get the stuff taken care of. On top of that it cost money. People who go through that plan on doing more than once so if I where you I would just perform an informal service.|||Darrell has the right suggestions. I am sitting here laughing at all the people thinking it is strange for your sister to request that you officiate their wedding. It is actually very special and sweet that she would think so highly of you as to ask. Darrell really did have a great idea...you should take it!