Saturday 4 June 2011

What's the deal with residency and a drivers license in a new state?

I%26#039;m in college in Minnesota, but a legal resident of S.Dakota. I%26#039;ve noticed that when I go into bars, they won%26#039;t let me in because my ID is from SD %26amp; they have been having problems. So if I got a Minn. ID, would I need to also change my residency and license plates?





Also, if I take my SD license into a Minnesota DMV, can I just get a license right then and there? Or would I have to bring anything else with me? Do I need to show them my birth certificate or passport or anything? Or would I have to take any tests? Or how does that go?





PLEASE AND THANKS!!!|||If your a college student you may be on your parents helath isurance still. Your permanant residence must be your home address with your parents, or that insurance might be void.





A bar in a college town can%26#039;t possibly turn everyone away. Try calling the manager during the day to explain the problem.





Be careful to check the situation out with your parents health insurance before you change your address. Then if you can, just apply for a Minn drivers license and leave the license plates in MN. Applying for a SD ID is a great idea.|||I can honestly say that the government is giving you more trouble than you really need. All you need to do is be over 16.5 years old, pass a driving test (if necessary), take a vision test and get your picture taken. If this is taking a longer amount of time than you can handle, you can get a legal ID from the government and the bars should let you in.|||I don%26#039;t know if you need to bring anything with you, but you would have to change your permanent address and license plates.





If you go to the DMV%26#039;s website, or call them, they will tell you if you need to bring any papers other than your driver%26#039;s license.





I doubt you would have to retake any tests, but their website will answer that as well (or the phone call).|||Go to the dmv and tell them you want a non drivers ID. That way you can use the address you%26#039;re at right now and get an id. The card will look like a license but it will say %26#039;non drivers ID%26quot; You can show that instead of your license and you dont have to change residency.





Oh you need your ID and a birth certificate. A SS card might do too but you need originals!|||Congrats in College - so what are you doing in bars and not the library?





You may have visitor status as a college student and not have to do the registry thing for your vehicle -





but you may have to take the test for a D/L in South Dakota


AND surrender your Minn D/L to get it.





What about an ID card only from SD??





then you can just shred it when you graduate - versus -


having to reapply for a Minn D/L.





all the best