Saturday 4 June 2011

I have dual Italian and Australian passports. How do I become an Italian resident?

I was born in Australia to Italian parents, I have an Italian passport therefore I am an Italian citizen. I am currently in Italy and plan to live here permanently. I am allowed to live here on my EU passport but I want to become a resident so I can get a EHIC card for health care. How do i change my residency?|||You will have to have a street address in Italy, either by renting or buying a house or apartment somewhere, and showing up at the city office (ufficio anagrafe) of that town or city to register your residence.





You will be officially considered a resident only when the local police will make an unannounced call at your address and ascertain that you are indeed living there, otherwise your application for resident status could be rejected.





Bear in mind that the bigger and more populated your chosen place of residence in Italy will be, the longer it will take for the registration process to complete.





Once you will have a %26quot;certificato di residenza%26quot; in your name, the next step to obtain an EHIC cardwill be to get a %26quot;codice fiscale%26quot; from the local tax office (called %26quot;Agenzia delle Entrate%26quot;), and then bring it to the Health Insurance Office at the local ASL (Azienda Sanitaria Locale) to apply for the card.|||You move to Italy - you don%26#039;t need to do anything to become a resident except moving there and having a physical address in Italy. Then you apply for your EHIC card using your passport as your identification|||Reside legally in Italy physically.