Saturday 4 June 2011

In-state residency for tuition purpose in Indiana?

Hi, I am a student who attends Purdue University in Indiana.





I have a question regarding resident classficiation. I have finished my first year of college, and I intend to go back to school to take a leave of absence for a year in order to claim in-state residency.





I am originally from North Carolina. I was considered as a out of state-er for this year, but I was wondering how I can change that.





People around me have been telling me different things, such as I just need to take a break from school for a year, and live in an apartment for a year. Others suggested me that I should do all the things above, and get a car, obtain Indiana driver%26#039;s license, and get a full time job in Indiana for a year.








I really do not know any procedures to change my residency classification. If anyone knows or has done this, please answer this question for me.








Thank you.





Have a wondeful day.|||This is according to the Indiana government:


U.S. citizens or permanent residents over age 21 are eligible for resident student status after they have been physically present in Indiana for twelve consecutive months prior to the first day of classes.





Students under age 21 are eligible for resident student status if their parents or legal guardians reside in Indiana for 12 months.





Other general criteria may apply.


----





However, in order to be considered in-state you%26#039;re going to have to have a job to afford to live there (as well as to show proof that you are a contributing member of Indianan society) and a valid Indiana ID or license to show you have given up your other state. You don%26#039;t need a car.