Friday 16 September 2011

How do I measure the aerial distance between two points on a map?

I work for a city department that is changing its residency requirement to a 30-mile aerial radius surrounding the police station. I need to know if my fiance's house falls within this radius. It is 34 miles by roadway, but it still might fall within the 30-mile aerial radius. Because he lives across state lines, I am having trouble finding a paper (e.g. %26quot;non-online%26quot;) map that I could use a compass/protractor to measure, and all the maps I find online (i.e. Google maps, MapQuest, etc.) just give me the driving distance. It's a close call so I need to be exact. Thanks.
How do I measure the aerial distance between two points on a map?
Google Maps has measuring tools. Go to Google Maps 鈫抍lick My Maps 鈫抍lick Distance Measurement Tool. If it is not there, hit %26quot;Browse%26quot; and look until you find it. Once you locate it, hit %26quot;Save to my Maps%26quot;. This tool uses the %26quot;great circle (aerial) calculation%26quot;. Connect the points between the office and the house. It will be a straight line. It should be close to 30 miles if the driving distance is 34 miles.



It is very easy to do. Come back and post what you found out. Now I'm curious.
How do I measure the aerial distance between two points on a map?
That is absolutely perfect. Exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!

Report Abuse


GPS both places and use coordinates to calc distance