Saturday 24 September 2011

Change of F1 status to J1?

I have come to the U.S. as a F1 student on January 7, 2010. The classes started yesterday. I don't really want to study now and besides I am running out of money and now I am seeking any options to obtain work permit.



the question is: can I change my F1 status to J1 now? if yes, how? and what time does it take? what are the consequences? does J1 status give work authorization? and how can I obtain J1 without 2 year residency rule ?
Change of F1 status to J1?
Theoretically you can change, but do you have an university which is willing to sponsor the J1 and pay you? I am not sure if you can change within the country or if you would have to leave, but your international student office should be able to tell you.



If not you have to keep in mind that you lose your F1 status if you don't go to classes or if you fail all of them.



If you run out of money before even classes start how come you got an F1? You needed to show sufficient funds didn't you? Where are they?



Unless somebody offers you a position (e.g. postdoctoral position) I don't think you have much chances for a J1. Also you aren't allowed to work for a different employer than the educational institution which sponsors you.
Change of F1 status to J1?
J1 is an exchange program. You can only apply for it when at a european university.

There is no way to change a F1 to anything.
Go home now before you run out of money

and get yourself in order inc funds ..then re-apply