Wednesday 21 September 2011

Can I change my status to resident at school?

I am an international student of F1 visa. I just got married to an American Citizen, my question is: can I apply for residency fees at school based on the fact that I am married to a local resident? At the moment I am adjusting my status and I don鈥檛 know how long that would take so I wanted to go to school while I wait. Thank you.
Can I change my status to resident at school?
You did not become a U.S. citizen through marriage. Until you receive your green card, you are not considered to be a resident under the immigration laws.



Your state or your school can consider you to be a resident if they want, but under the immigration laws, you are not a resident unless you have a green card. You can adjust status to permanent resident if your application is approved.



F-1 students are not considered residents. You can go to school while you wait for your green card, but you might have to pay out-of-state tuition fees. It's up to the school and the state laws.
Can I change my status to resident at school?
It really depends on the school. I would contact the school and explain the situation. Theoretically, if you are married and have dual-citizenship including US citizenship, you should be able to enroll as a resident, but each school is different.



Good luck!