Friday 16 September 2011

Moving to another state before the presidential election - how do I vote?

I am getting married on October 4th and will be moving to PA from NJ at that time. Since my residency will change so close to the presidential election, I think it will be too late to re-register as a PA voter for that election. How will I vote if my residency is no longer NJ but I don't think I can register in PA at that late of a point? I looked on the website for NJ's Division of Elections, but didn't see any information about this. Anyone have any info? Thanks!
Moving to another state before the presidential election - how do I vote?
Get an absentee ballot based on your NJ residency and vote that way. One of the requirements is that you will be out of the state on election day, which you will. You need to register a certain number of days before an election, so if you do not have PA residency yet, then for election purposes you are still New Jersey. You can send in the absentee ballot while you still live in New Jersey.



Technically, I suppose you could vote absentee ballot even if on election day you crossed over into another state for 5 minutes.
Moving to another state before the presidential election - how do I vote?
Call the local election commission and ask about the details. If you have to live in the county a certain amountof time before you vote then make sure you do or vote absentee in your old district.
Usually you have to register in the new location at least 30 days before the election. So as soon as you get to PA, check with the local Secretary of State and get yourself registered. (You can do it at the same time you are transferring your driver's license.)



If you fail to get registered in PA, you are still eligible to vote absentee ballot in NJ.
Register in PA as soon as you move. Start the process early, if you can. (Will you have proof of address right away?) You should have enough time.



Congrats on your impending wedding!