Wednesday 21 September 2011

Will I be able to change her name?

I am 7 months pregnant and have a naming dilemma-- I want to give her her father's last name. The problem is, he is applying for his Canadian permanent residency and we are afraid that registering her as his child will slow down the application ( which has already been 18 months in the process). His application is currently in Buffalo, NY and we have no idea if and when it will be processed. His idea is that, when she's born, I just give her my name and when his permanent residency application comes through we can get married and change her name to his. I have my doubts about this. The only situation I have experience with that is similar in nature is adoption by a stepfather and I know how long and expensive that can be, but I don't know how it works with a biological father. Will her name automatically be changed when we get married? ( I plan on taking his name) will he have to %26quot;adopt%26quot; her? Can he get on the birth certificate later? Please help, we're running out of time to decide what we're going to do.
Will I be able to change her name?
yes, the last name can be changed... you would have to go to a courthouse and figure out exactly how to do it. but it can be done :)
Will I be able to change her name?
Wow. Talk about putting the child in last place.



If we name her...HIS life will be inconvenienced.



I say name her your name...I'd bet you will never get to the point where you have to change it. He sounds selfish and you are not going to end up married to him - unless he needs it for citizenship.



Regret all around.