Friday 16 September 2011

Should I file as a part-time or full-time resident of West Virginia on my taxes?

I lived in WV until October 9th. It was then that I sold my home and moved to PA. I worked in WV until August 24th and started a job in PA on August 26th. Between August 26th and October 9th I was commuting from WV to PA and had WV taxes taken out of my paycheck in PA. On October 9th I changed my residency with my employer's payroll department and had only PA taxes coming out of my paycheck for the remainder of the year. WV state income instructions say a person is a full time resident if person %26quot;maintains a physical presence in WV for more than 183 of the taxable year, even though he/she may also be considered a resident of another state%26quot; but then also that a person is a part-time resident if %26quot;changes hes/her residence from WV to another state during taxable year%26quot;. I'm confused, please help and say how certain you are in your answer :). Thanks!!!
Should I file as a part-time or full-time resident of West Virginia on my taxes?
You were a part-year resident of WV and a part-year resident of PA. The income up till 10/9 will be taxed by WV because you were a WV resident. The income after 8/26 will be taxed by PA because it was earned in PA.



For the few weeks of living in WV and working in PA, both States will tax your income, but WV will give you a credit for the taxes you had to pay to PA--but only for the tax on the double-taxed income.
  • mac studio fix powder
  • remove sunless tanning spray
  •