Saturday 24 September 2011

Is it illegal to live in Florida and try to form residency in Massachusetts?

I currently live in Florida and have 1 year and 4 months left of community college. I want to move back to Mass. and plan to once I graduate from school.



I want to know if I would get in trouble if next January I drive up there and change my license, car insurance, cell phone, post office address, and all other needed documentation to form residency in Massachusetts while living in Florida for an additional 4-5 months???



I then plan to drive back down to Florida to finish my last semester of school and then move back to Massachusetts for good.



It takes 1 year to become a resident of Mass. and I figure if I do this in January of 2010. Graduate in May. In the meantime get a job or internship from July to December as I wait for January.



I'll be a considered a resident in January of 2011 and that would be just time for the spring semester. I want to finish school, but do not want to have to pay the out of state tuition.



Oh yeah and also do you think the school that I transfer to will question me about how did I complete my degree in Florida and claim myself a Massachusetts residence???





All informative answers will be greatly appreciated. I'm a planner so I have to plan this all now.
Is it illegal to live in Florida and try to form residency in Massachusetts?
If your family lives there and you are going to school in florida, then your permanent address can be your parents address legally. You should have no difficulties. However, if you do not have a physical address which you are in some way attached to(can receive mail at) then you cannot form residency.



*edit: if the only reason you moved to florida would be to be in school then technically you are still a resident of Mass. Most out of state students get licenses mail cellphones cars and those type of things in the state they are attending school, however schools only consider you an in state resident if you have been in the state for at least one year, and if you do not just reside in the state for educational purposes.
Is it illegal to live in Florida and try to form residency in Massachusetts?
Nice way to end school: getting charged with fraud, misrepresentation and several federal crimes for providing false information in government documents.



You are going to leave a mile of evidence and paper work; and jail is a very bad place to be.