Saturday 24 September 2011

How long before I can travel abroad while applying for permanent residency?HELP?

Hi, I am mexican and my husband is american. we just got married and we are applying for my change of status to become a permanent recident (I hold a F-1 visa).

if we send all the documents by the end of next week (2nd week of September), when would I be able to leave the country and reenter to USA?

The thing is that our religious wedding and reception is planned to be in Mexico in January 16... would we make it on time for me to eb able to leave the USA and come back? I heard is 90 days, is it true?

THANKS SOOO MUCH! if someone went through all this and can tell us about ur case would be awsome!
How long before I can travel abroad while applying for permanent residency?HELP?
I don't think it would be a good idea to travel outside the US until you physically have your green card in hand....if you leave the country you have the posiblity of getting a ban placed on you and not being able to return. The I-130 usually takes about 6 months to a year to process..depending on what field office it goes too..vermont takes the longest. And then you would have to file your AOS paperwork..so I don't think you will make it by Jan. 16. Sorry! Best of luck to you!
How long before I can travel abroad while applying for permanent residency?HELP?
Along with the residence applications to enable you to travel while they are pending you should also submit

form I-131 which is the travel document application.Follow the instructions for Advance Parole. See uscis.gov for it

and instructions.