Wednesday 21 September 2011

Is it better to marry first before applying for permanent residency?

Im a temporary foreign worker in alberta, canada and I came here as single. the company I work with is kind enough to help me apply for a permanent residency here. now my fiancee and I are planning to get married, he鈥檚 from australia and were planning to get married there. Will there be complications when I marry before applying for permanent residency since I apply here as single? how will the change of status from single to married go, what are the documents to update. Can I still use my maiden name in my documents but attach my marriage certificate and declare married in my status? How long will the process go?

thanks and good day.
Is it better to marry first before applying for permanent residency?
YES there would be complications if you married before your PR application is complete.



if you were to get married while the PR application is in process - the delay may be many months - particularly since he is not canadian and he is not eligible to get PR based on your application - he needs to apply for himself based on his work permit



you must be a PR first before you can get married and apply for the spouse



I strongly suggest that you do NOT get married until after you get your PR status (as a single) - otherwise you could create a LOT of problems for you and your spouse.