Friday 16 September 2011

How do I pay and then file state taxes while moving?

I am moving from Nebraska to Florida and will be moving there myself for several months before my family comes down. I will have no personal income in Nebraska after I move and also have a military retirement that is state taxed right now, but my wife will continue to work in Nebraska for a few months before joining me in Florida. My question is when does my residency actually change and can it be a separate date for my wife/family? I will be staying with family for the few months I am down there alone, but will have an address that I can use for residency etc. Florida has no state income taxes, so obviously I want to take advantage of that as soon as possible. Thanks for any help.
How do I pay and then file state taxes while moving?
Yes, you can have a separate date from your family for your residency. When you notify the Military of your change of address your military retirement will no longer be considered income in Nebraska. As far as your wife is concerned, her Nebraska taxable income will cease when the Nebraska employer stops paying her, whether she has moved yet or not.