Wednesday 21 September 2011

How do I pay for Uni as an Australian temporary resident?

Hello,

I am in a specific situation and don't know what to do. I know that I cannot apply for student aid until I become a permanent resident in 2 years time under my current Spouse visa [I am certainly allowed to study]. I would like to go back to school soon and want to know if student loans are made available to Temporary residents. It is difficult to find any information considering my temporary residency will be changing to permanent in 2 years time. Either loans are available or the schools expect temporary residents to have the funds already, as in the case of someone on a student visa. Please help me figure out which is true!



Thanks!
How do I pay for Uni as an Australian temporary resident?
Rebecca - you have it slightly wrong. Loans (HECS) are only available to Australian citizens NOT Perm Residents. As a PR you get charged the Australian rate but you have to pay up front. Until you are a PR you have to pay the international fee which is much higher.



So there are no government loans available to you until you are a citizen but if you choose to study on your PR visa it will be much cheaper than an international student.