Wednesday 21 September 2011

How much weight does your Step I score carry when applying for residency?

I'm in my first year of school and I'm doing fine, but not as well as I had hoped. I'm getting mostly %26quot;satisfactory-s%26quot; and a few %26quot;honors%26quot; in my courses. Thing is, I'm thinking about specializing in surgery (perhaps) and, seeing how competitive it is, I was wondering if a great Step I score would outweigh my average grades? I might change my mind about what I'd like to do come 3rd and 4th year, but I do not want to limit myself. I appreciate any advice
How much weight does your Step I score carry when applying for residency?
Step 1 is, I believe, the most important deciding factor when you apply for your residency. Step 2 is very important as well, but not as much as Step 1. Step 3 is just for you to receive your MD/DO.



I think 250+ is what you need to get in Step 1 for surgery residency.