Wednesday 21 September 2011

How does a CA resident file for taxes if temporarily living/working in OR?

I am a California resident -- I'm registered to vote there, and have a CA driver's license -- but moved to Oregon in September. I am not permanently moving here, and am staying free at family's house. I will be back to my place in California in the summer, but had to get a part-time job while here to support myself. So, my only source of income for this year is in OR. I don't want my residency status to change to Oregon, since it's temporary, so how do I file for my personal tax return? As an OR part-year resident, or a CA part-year resident, or...??
How does a CA resident file for taxes if temporarily living/working in OR?
US Mail
How does a CA resident file for taxes if temporarily living/working in OR?
Oy vey, this was the only answer that was NOT helpful. You must have voted for yourself. Booo.

Report Abuse


Jobs that are expected to (and do) last less than a year are usually considered temporary absences from your tax home (CA). File as a CA resident, and file Non-Resident in OR for income over $1,945.
your temporary employment in Ore does not change your tax home(that is where you work except for short, temporary assignments)

you apparently intend to return to Calif.

as a Calif resident you are taxed on income from all sources but there are tax agreements between states for taxes paid on the same income

you can file a part time resident and the Calif. income will be apportioned out