Friday 16 September 2011

How do I prove my legal residency at the time of Enlistment to the Army?

I'm in the process of separating from the Army and am trying to plan my future. I intend to return to school and pursue a degree in psychology. I was born in Texas and have always considered myself a resident there, however, my father was in the army for 25 years and at the time of myenlistmentt I was living in Ft. Polk,Louisianaa. I changed my Legal Residency after enlisting, but I've recently become aware that under the Hazelwood Act... to be eligible for Texas' in state tuition as a veteran, I need to have been a resident of Texas at the time of my enlistment. Can someone please explain this to me? I have no family or anything inLouisianaa nor any intentions of ever returning there. Am I still eligible and if now, how can I fix these residencydiscrepanciess in order to be eligible for the benefits available to me as a Native Texan and Combat Veteran?
How do I prove my legal residency at the time of Enlistment to the Army?
Why dont you just move to texas?

Establish residency,

apply for gi bill
How do I prove my legal residency at the time of Enlistment to the Army?
Sad to say that as dependents we truly have no home of record like military members do. What I mean by this is that as a military member, what ever state you enlist in is the state that will be your home of record. As a military dependent it is whatever state we live in for at least 6 months. So that usually means we change our residency every PCS move unlike the military member.



Since you were a dependent at the time you enlisted and were living in LA and probably had been there for 6 months or longer, that was your home of record. However, that being said when you switched over you home of residence to Texas a few years ago, that is fine also, military members can switch their home of residence but that is like saying you have only been a Texan for a few years now (since you switched). There is nothing that can be done right now to get any paperwork going to change your Home of Record. Your Home of Record will always be LA however you can change your residency to whatever state you want like you did a few years ago when you changed it to Texas.



Sorry I know this is not the info you wanted to hear. Your best bet might talk to the college about a waiver after a year attending their college and see what help they will be able to give you.
if you plan to go to texas after your ets then you should go to your S-1 and tell them you need to change your residency to texas and you should also change your home of record to texas as well so that you get paid for the ARMY moving your household goods there. its a very simple process, it will take you all of 15 minutes to accomplish
short answer.. you can't. where ever you enlisted from regardless of whether you considered it home or not.. is your HoR.



your HoR is LA, and cannot be changed to TX.