Friday 16 September 2011

Suggestions on how I can prove I'm going back to the U.S. From canada?

I don't have work or a place in canada. I'm 18 and I have an aunt that lives in seattle so I figured I should change my residency to washington. My boyfriend lives up here in canada and when my 6 months are over I wanted to bring my car up here and come back over the border but I thought how am i going to prove im going back to the U.S.? I'm going to do schooling online, so I can't use school or work? Do you think I should get a letter from my aunt, but what would I state in it?



Please help.
Suggestions on how I can prove I'm going back to the U.S. From canada?
Okay, where are you right now?

When you refer to %26quot;6 months is up%26quot;, do you mean that you are in Canada right now for six months? If so, then you will (legally) have to wait at least 6 months to go back to canada unless you get a visitor or other visa. Legally you can only stay in Canada for 180 days out of 365 without a visa.

Therefore, trying to get back over the border may or may not be successful, depending on the diligence of the customs officer.



If you mean you are in Seattle for 6 months, then want to go to Canada, then you shouldn't have any problem, except for, as you expressed, needing to convince immigration officials you are coming back to the U.S. The best way of doing this is to have employment, an apt. or house or property, going to school, and a large financial resource, none of which you have. Those are the things they look for, and with them lacking, it is likely you will be denied entry, or given a limited visa, such as for several weeks, with a requirement that you drop it off at customs on your way out of the country.



I would recommend that you stay with your aunt long enough to get a job that you can use to show that you intend to come back, in which case you would have to have a letter from your employer stating when you are expected back to the job.
Suggestions on how I can prove I'm going back to the U.S. From canada?
When you change your residency can you get a passport? They are going to be required soon anyways.
Do you have bank statements for funds in US dollars? I'd say get a letter from your boyfriend and from your aunt. Just get a letter from your boyfriend saying you should come visit and then a letter from your aunt saying you should come visit after you visit your boyfriend in Canada. If you can, put some time frames in the letters. You could also write a signed affidavit saying that you have no intention of working in Canada and that you're just going for a holiday.
You just need to prove that you intend to go back?



My roomie just got some banking information and a letter stating that her stuff was in storage from our land lord. That was enough for her to go to the States on a one year working Visa from Canada.



I am not sure if that helps at all, but I hope so. Good Luck!
just spend some money on a cheap bus ticket back. Show it to the border guards as proof you're returning. Also, bus tickets are usually good for a year, so you can use it to go back for a visit anytime you want.