Wednesday 21 September 2011

Will I be able to change her name?

I am 7 months pregnant and have a naming dilemma-- I want to give her her father's last name. The problem is, he is applying for his Canadian permanent residency and we are afraid that registering her as his child will slow down the application ( which has already been 18 months in the process). His application is currently in Buffalo, NY and we have no idea if and when it will be processed. His idea is that, when she's born, I just give her my name and when his permanent residency application comes through we can get married and change her name to his. I have my doubts about this. The only situation I have experience with that is similar in nature is adoption by a stepfather and I know how long and expensive that can be, but I don't know how it works with a biological father. Will her name automatically be changed when we get married? ( I plan on taking his name) will he have to %26quot;adopt%26quot; her? Can he get on the birth certificate later? Please help, we're running out of time to decide what we're going to do.
Will I be able to change her name?
You can simply change her last name. I have a half brother, because my mother had an affair, but my father took her back, and he took my father's last name. Now, she is with my brothers biological father and they have changed his last name.
Will I be able to change her name?
Lady, u can name her shoehorn for all the goverment cares. Dont worry u can change her name anytime as long as she is a minor and under ur legal custody. Be happy and congratulations. Bet she will be as pretty as u. Bye
Having a child who is his is NOT going to negatively affect his application. So that should not even play into it.

IF you do not list him as the father, then you are looking at a long drawn out expensive process to prove he is her dad. You will have to have DNA testing done, paid for out of your own pocket. It is expensive also. Once it comes back as his child, then and only then you can have his name placed on the birth certificate.

As far as her last name goes, you can give her any last name you wish. If the 2 of you get married you can change YOUR last name, not a problem. However to change your daughters last name, without going the DNA/paternity route, it is going to take going before a judge to get that done. Just changing a child's name is not that simple. If it were, more parents would be doing it.

My own opinion is go ahead and list him on the birth certificate and give her his last name.



Donna
You can always change your childs name. And he is the biological father so he doesn't have to adopt the child because the child is already his. You can give her any last name you want and change it at anytime. If you get married I don't know if it will automatically change her last name, you will have to legally get it changed as you will have to do for yourself. You can give the child your name and get everything taken care of and then when you go to change your last name change the childs also. I don't think it will be as complicated as you may think. But no he definitely will not have to adopt the child, its his anyways. Good luck with everything and enjoy your beautiful bundle of joy! Oh and yes you can put him on the birth certificate at anytime.
Doubtful any of this will affect an application already in the works. Just get married. Your child deserves a father regardless of what that might or might not do to his immigration status.