Saturday 24 September 2011

Medical school, residency, being a full time mother? is it possible?

Okay so I am still trying to finish off highschool and have beautiful baby boy. Who I wouldn't take back for anything and is my world. Getting pregnant really changed me. Like literally saved my life, I was always slacking off in school, getting bad grades, never caring about the future, being fake and doing what everyone else was doing. But after I got pregnant I realized i needed to change be better, do better, and start being the person God created me to be. So I found a new dream. I was watching tons of med shows during pregnancy %26amp; realized..... I want be a surgeon. Big dream I know. I want to be a pediatric %26amp; neonatal surgeon. My son will be two when I go into med school. I am very determined now very focused. Focused only on being a good mother and on schoolwork so I can get into a good medical school. But the reality is it's a ton of work. Especially internship and all of that. Your working really late. I am afraid I won't barely see him. I considered being a nurse but I really want to be a surgeon. But how will I balance it all. Anyone out there that got through medical school and residency as a single mom. Please tell me how will I do this. I have tons of support and a large family that extends form blood relation to friends that are considered family. But leaving him is my worry. I am finishing highschool online. So I am here with him. He is not even a month old. %26amp; I shouldn't be worrying about this for a while but I am.
Medical school, residency, being a full time mother? is it possible?
I think you should follow your dreams. Go to med school. Your son will still be there, and your family will be more than happy to help you. If you can provide for him, a couple years of seeing him less is worth it.



You love your child and no amount of work will stop you from raising him. Follow your heart and become a surgeon. You won't regret it. You want him to look up to you one day.



Good luck.
Medical school, residency, being a full time mother? is it possible?
not possible....nor is law school, from personal experience. AIM A LITTLE LOWER.
It is possible, if you leave him at your parents house while your gone etc, money shouldnt be a problem really, its jsut mentally. Your going to get stressed, your going to get tired. Your not going to be able to play with him as much. But really itl all be worth it for you and him.
He will not be 2 when you start med school.Before med school you have to get an underdgad degree so at least 4 years after high school before you can start med school. So 4 years for your degree, 4 years for med school, 4 years for residency and then about another 6 years for your specialty.



Best of luck and congratulations on your baby boy.