Saturday 24 September 2011

F-1 student...marriage name change?

I got married a year ago and we are about to apply for a change of status from my f-1 to legal resident. However, I don't want to have to have my maiden name registered on the green card etc and then have to go through and pay to have it changed so I would rather do it now. Am I able to change the name on the visa in my passport? If so how? If not, can I fill out my residency application with my name with my married name and 'other' being my maiden name, still? Someone please help this is so frustrating as there is no solid information out there and application fees are enough without having to pay for a lawyer (which I can't afford).
F-1 student...marriage name change?
Which one do you intend to use now? Which one did you indicate as your 'name after marriage' in your marriage license/certificate? I would assume it's your married name, so yes, write down your married name on all of the USCIS forms you are about to file.
F-1 student...marriage name change?
Use the married name on the I-485 with maiden name as the other.

The green card will then be issued in the married name. Nothing to it.
  • 1 web hosting
  • dynamic editing
  •