Saturday 24 September 2011

Immediate FAFSA change?

so my residency has switched to my father's. I used to identify with my mom but we had a falling out. my parents never married so i only have to put one of their incomes on the fafsa form. so i didnt get any aid this past year because my mom makes over 100 thousand dollars alone. my dad makes only $30,000 a year and now he is the main person paying for college. how can i change my fafsa midyear to get more aid, i cant wait till next year. what do i do?
Immediate FAFSA change?
You can go back and correct a FAFSA to update financial info. The school may flag this and ask you to verify your info. Be prepared to prove that you live with your father and not your mother and that he is claiming you for tax purposes and not your mother.

Since it is mid-year your aid is already determined but I would advise you to go the financial aid office of your school and seek in-person advice.
Immediate FAFSA change?
On the day you filled out your fafsa, it was your mom that provided the most support to you and the one who you were suppose to report. This information can not be updated because it was (and still is) the correct information by looking at the date you filled out the fafsa.



You can't change it mid year. If you want to try to use your Dads (and step mom if you have one) on your next fafsa, you can try, but this is rarely successful. The fin aid office can see your old fafsa with mom making 100K a year and will question you.



If if makes you feel any better, you prob won't qualify for grants with dads income either.