Friday 16 September 2011

How do I change my name?

I got married in last August and have been wanting to take my husband's last name. I also want to change my given name too because it is hard to pronounce.



Currently I am waiting to have my interview that is scheduled to take place in Feb and I would like to know if I want to do it, how much can be done?



I understand I can take my marriage certificate to SSA and I can change my last name but then what about my passport from my fountry? Should I get a different one?



What about my first name? I know you can change it when you apply for citizenship so does it mean when I am a permanent resident(hopefully the interview goes thru and I am granted residency), I cant change my name at all?





This is a very confusing question I know so I will really appreciate it if someone can give me answers!



Thank you!
How do I change my name?
If you want to change your name you have to do it through your country of origin. Changing the name of another countries citizens is frowned upon! Once you become a US citizen you can have the US change your name. This is why it is part of the citizenship ceremony.
How do I change my name?
You can change your name ANYTIME through court order. After that you can update your SS Card, PAssport(thru your country's embassy), drivers license etc.



Check with your locale about the process via court order.
  • cleaning out a
  • whipped cream stiff
  •