Saturday 24 September 2011

Residency in FL (for tuition purposes)?

I'm 19 and live in Wisconsin I want to become a FL resident for tuition purposes, so I was wondering how could I make my aunt my guardian, even though 19, or can change it so that I'm her dependent. Is that possible? I currently go to school here in WI and I don't want to take a year off of school just to get in state tuition. I just moved here from FL 3 years ago cause of my parents.



Please help! I don't wanna be a prisoner of this state as an adult, because my parents wanted to live in cheeseland.
Residency in FL (for tuition purposes)?
First, you can hardly be a dependent of someone with whom you don't even live...especially when you DO live with your parents!! Second, in both Wisconsin and Florida, you are an adult. You don't need a guardian and I can hardly imagine any circumstances that apply to you under which a court would grant another adult guardianship of you. You are not in any way disabled - you basically just want to cheat some Florida college out of their out-of-state tuition.



Also, remember that just living in Florida (or most any state) for a year does not automatically qualify you for in-state tuition. The language from both the University of Florida and Florida State's policies apparently quotes the state law: %26quot;Living in or attending school in Florida will not, in itself, establish legal residence for tuition purposes.%26quot;