Wednesday 21 September 2011

How to change School status to resident?

I am an international student of F1 visa. I just got married to an American Citizen, my question is: can I apply for residency fees at school based on the fact that I am married to a local resident? At the moment I am adjusting my status and I don鈥檛 know how long that would take so I wanted to go to school while I wait. Thank you.
How to change School status to resident?
You cannot. A resident is referring to local (in-district), in-state, or our-of-state. It does not matter who you are married to, you are not going to become a resident until you become a citizen of the United States of America, until then you will remain an International student. It is not a school status, but a legal residency, and you are not a citizen, so you cannot be a resident of any state. If they are offering a different rate for a permanent resident that is different as well, but you have to be here for a number if years before you can claim permanent residency. Either way, you will have to pay international student tuition until you are granted residency.